Napoli have turned down a £40m bid from Manchester City for their Brazilian-born Italian midfielder Jorginho.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is a notoriously tough negotiator and he clearly believes that Jorgingo is worth more after a phenomenal season in Serie A.
“I have turned down €45m plus €5m in bonuses from City for Jorginho,” he told Corriere Dello Sport.
Jorginho’s agent said last week that he believed that the deal would be easily completed, saying: “Jorginho is still under contract, but if Napoli find an agreement with City then he goes to Manchester.
“Finding an agreement with the English won’t be a problem, considering their importance, but I repeat it depends on Napoli as the player is tied to the Azzurri for two more years.”
Jorginho played for Italy on Friday night against France, playing alongside Lorenzo Pellegrini in midfield; the latter has now been strongly linked with Manchester United.
Jorginho's 2017/18 Serie A season by numbers:
89.5% pass accuracy
62 tackles won
44 chances created
Guardian of possession. 🗝 pic.twitter.com/u9SKEKzPOh
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) May 30, 2018