The two Colombian footballers who missed penalties to hand England victory in their World Cup tie have received death threats.
Mateus Uribe and Carlos Bacca were targeted with disgusting abuse within minutes of the conclusion of the penalty shootout in Moscow.
Uribe’s penalty rebounded off the crossbar, while Jordan Pickford saved superbly to deny Bacca from the spot.
The threats emerged just one day after the 24th anniversary of the murder of former Colombian international, Andres Escobar.
Escobar was shot dead after scoring an own goal at the 1994 World Cup in the United States.
The death threats leave some Colombians fearing a repeat of those events, as vile abuse was aimed at Uribe and Bacca.
Bacca was warned against returning home after the tournament, while one sinister poster on Twitter told Uribe he had played his final game for the team.
Police were already investigating death threats sent to defensive midfielder Carlos Sanchez after his red card in Colombia’s opening game with Japan.
Escobar’s brother, Sachi, spoke earlier this week to express his worry about the potential of another murder after learning of the news about Sanchez.
He said: “As a brother who has gone through this, I know what must be going through their heads, and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that.
“Carlos must be feeling both sad for the mistake he made, and very afraid, and his family too.
“My brother never received any threats, they just shot him dead in the most cowardly way.
See a tweet recalling Escobar’s 1994 murder:
24 yrs after Andres #Escobar killing some colombian “fans” sending death threats on social media to #Sanchez, #Uribe and #Bacca. Learn how to lose and be proud of what your players achieved. #Football is just a game #WorldCup #COL #COLENG
— Marco Giuliani (@MarcoakaAfro) July 4, 2018
(Yahoo Sport UK/Twitter)